About Me

My photo
Malaysia
As you know, I'm 21 and a Hindu follower. Currently I'm a B.Ed TESL (Hons) student in Unisel (don't ask for the location). Well I like reading, swimming, playing Basketball, playing Badminton and eating. Anything else, you have to ask e

Sunday 19 December 2010

Dialogues and Monologues

This semester I'm taking Theatre in ESL as a elective subject. The is 120 students in my group and we were supposed to do Beauty and the Beast but then our lecturer changed it. Othello is the play that she forced us to do and as usual not many know this beautiful Romantic Tragedy written by William Shakespeare. Othello is complicated and this play requires one to fully understand the complex language and plot. I personally read Othello four times, twice the original Shakespearian version and twice the abridged version. The characteristics of  Othello, Desdemona, Iago and the other characters are at my finger tips. Since Shakespearian plays are my forte, I volunteered to be a script writer without any hesitance.  There are 20 people in my script writing team, 11 including me from Semester Six and the remaining are the juniors, surprisingly not many took interest in writing. The script writers are said to be one of the important heart vessel of a play, where they are the who decides almost every elements to attract the audiences' attention. During writing, the writers have to decided what background, what prop, sound and lighting will be suitable for that scene. Sometimes the writers will perhaps suggest to the actors the proper facial expression to make acting look real.Since the Shakespearian version is to "hard" to digest, we are ask the base the play on some childish abridged version which had "seven chapters". Our fearless script writing head divided us into groups of three, where three people will write the script for one chapter. The only problem with this idea is there'll be no link from one chapter to one chapter, the audience won't understand how the character are connected to each other and there will be more props to change. We decided to write the script together as a team behind the leader who jut can't understand and now we have completed six chapters, decided on the backgrounds, props, sound and lighting as a group. The other writers and me are going to be involved with every aspect of the play as we know the play at the back of our hands.




A Short Summary of Othello